Another year is coming to a close, and people are getting excited to celebrate the holidays. Homeowners, it’s time to get ready for the upcoming holiday season. So pull out those family-favorite recipes, start shopping early for groceries, and make sure the kitchen is ready for those fabulous holiday meals. However, “getting the kitchen ready” doesn’t mean just cleaning it until there’s not a speckle of dirt in sight. It means making sure all of the kitchen appliances, including the garbage disposal, are ready to handle the holiday celebrations this year.
Breaking Down What Garbage Disposals Do
Garbage disposals have such a significant role in the kitchen plumbing system. What exactly do they do? They sit directly under the kitchen sink and collect the food waste that falls down the drain. This waste is then ground up into smaller pieces, allowing it to move through the rest of the plumbing pipes without causing a clog.
Hosting holiday meals means that more food is going around, more plates to clean at the end of the night, and more food waste going down the drain. Homeowners need to be sure that their garbage disposal is up for the extra work. The last thing homeowners want to worry about when they have guests over is a broken garbage disposal. Once the garbage disposal stops working, it could lead to a clog in the pipes and cause water to start backing up into the sink!
Know the Signs That the Garbage Disposal Needs Replacing
How do homeowners know if their garbage disposal is malfunctioning and needs replacing? They can keep an eye out for these signs:
- Lingering smells: It’s not uncommon for the garbage disposal to develop a bad smell, but it should go away after the waste is ground up and sent down the pipes. If the smell doesn’t go away, there are likely food particles stuck in the crevices of the device. Homeowners should disassemble the unit and thoroughly clean it to eliminate the lingering odor.
- Strange noises: Screeching noises coming from the garbage disposal is not normal. Actually, any noise other than a grinding noise is not normal. If homeowners notice strange noises when the unit is turned on, it could be a sign that the motor is worn out and needs to be replaced.
- Reset problems: It’s okay for homeowners to use the reset button, but it should be used seldomly. If homeowners notice themselves pressing the button frequently because it doesn’t seem to stay reset, this is another sign of a problem. There could be wear and tear on the unit or insufficient wiring at play.
How Homeowners Can Prevent Garbage Disposal Problems
Like any component of the plumbing system, homeowners need to be mindful of how they care for the garbage disposal and what they put down the kitchen sink drain.
- Grease: Do not pour grease down the drain. This is one of the biggest causes of clogs.
- Drain cleaners: Do not pour drain cleaners down the drain either. The harsh chemicals could damage the garbage disposal.
- Citrusy foods: Try to use natural solutions to eliminate bad odors, such as grinding up an orange peel or lemon peel.
When homeowners take good care of the garbage disposal, it’s more likely to stay functional during the holiday season.
About Plumbing Nerds
Plumbing needs its own set of nerds! That’s why Plumbing Nerds has an elite team of plumbing experts and enthusiasts. Their whole team is committed to providing a five-star level of service like no other. Their certified technicians have clearly-marked vehicles, always wear shoe covers, and provide personalized nerd-grade options for any plumbing & drain needs with 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed. Call the Plumbing Nerds today to ask about kitchen plumbing services in Bonita Springs.